Sign In
School Health Services
Healthy Bodies = Healthy Minds
Related Documents:
Immunization Exemption Procedure.pdf
What if my child has a severe allergy?
What if my child has a severe allergy? (Spanish)
Additional Pages:
Coordinated School Health - Bullying and Cyberbullying

Welcome to the Harlandale I.S.D. School Health Services Informational Web Page! 

The School Health Services Facilitator is Mr. Rodney La Point, RN. you can e-mail any questions concerning your child's medical conditions or therapies to

School Health Services Overview

At Harlandale, caring for your child is the School Nurse's number one priority! This may mean having to send your child home for the day to seek medical care for a condition identified by the School Nurse. However, maximizing your child's time spent in the learning environment is the ultimate goal for every child, in every classroom, everyday. So, sending your child home for the day will only be an option if it is the fastest way of returning your child to the learning environment. Non-urgent and non-emergent conditions will be referred to a physician for care, but can be addressed in the physician's office by appointment as much as possible. If the condition is urgent or emergent like lacerations or obvious broken bones, the call to you by the School Nurse or School Representative will be made with directions to have your child seen immediately by the ER or Urgent Care Clinic.



Children of school age are required to have certain immunizations to attend school. The link below is where you can get more information as to what immunizations are due at the different ages.

Texas Department of State Health Services
Remember: If your child has just turned 4 (or will be 4 this month), your child is due for immunizations required for school. If your child will be starting 7th grade, they are also due for immunizations prior to the start of that grade. If either situation applies to your child, you should call your family doctor or Pediatrician and make an appointment to get those required immunizations. If you have any questions, ask your School Nurse. If you need a copy of an officail shot record, the Health Department can provide you one at a nominal cost, but your School Nurse can print you an official copy for FREE. Just ask your School Nurse.
Here is the Law subsection (a) that allows for exclusion of a student for delinquent immunizations.

Rule § 97.66 Provisional Enrollment for (Non-Higher Education...) Students

(a) The law requires that students be fully vaccinated against the specified diseases. A student may be enrolled provisionally if the student has an immunization record that indicates the student has received at least one dose of each specified age-appropriate vaccine required by this rule. To remain enrolled, the student must complete the required subsequent doses in each vaccine series on schedule and as rapidly as is medically feasible and provide acceptable evidence of vaccination to the school. A school nurse or school administrator shall review the immunization status of a provisionally enrolled student every 30 days to ensure continued compliance in completing the required doses of vaccination. If, at the end of the 30-day period, a student has not received a subsequent dose of vaccine, the student is not in compliance and the school shall exclude the student from school attendance until the required dose is administered.

Here is the web site we can link to if you like.$ext.TacPage?sl=R&app=9&p_dir=&p_rloc=&p_tloc=&p_ploc=&pg=1&p_tac=&ti=25&pt=1&ch=97&rl=66



As we approach the end of November, we are entering into the cold and flu season that lasts until late March. Along with this time, we see an increase in the number of illness accompanied by fever. The district defines fever as a temperature of 100 degrees or higher. A student with a fever is to be excused from school UNTIL 24 HOURS AFTER THE FEVER HAS STOPPED, AND IS NOT BEING CONTROLLED BY A FEVER REDUCING MEDICATION LIKE TYLENOL OR MOTRIN. Remember if any illness goes 3 days or more, the school requires a doctor's excuse to cover that extended absence. Also, if there is a question or you are not sure, call your School Nurse for directions. The schools usually require that the School Nurse see the student and take their temperature to document the fever before excusing the absence, so be prepared to bring your student in to the school clinic on the morning you notice the fever and then the Nurse can excuse the absence the next day by a phone call from the parent before 10 am.

The exact policy on Fevers can be found in the Health section of the Student/Parent Handbook.



4/15/15- Now is the time to begin addressing immunizations your student may need for next school year. Here is the rule: If your student is 4 years old, or if they are going to be entering the 7th grade, and have not had immunizations recently, they need an appointment to get their immunizations caught up. Again they have to already be 4 years old, or going to be in the 7th grade next school year. If they meet these criteria, then it is not too early to get the immunizations for next school year out of the way. Please avoid the crowds all rushing and scrambling to find the immunizations their students need. Get them done now. If you have any questions or do not know if your student needs immunizations, feel free to take your shot record and visit your School Nurse. You can also take your student and your shot record to your family doctor, pediatrician, or non-urgent clinic. They will be able to tell you if your student needs immunizations.

Please remember that the University Health System School Based Clinic at Collier Elementary is ready to help with your immunization needs. Just call 358-TALK to make an appointment. Do not forget to take our shot records with you where ever you choose to address your immunization needs.

Previously posted- 4/10/15- Recently a letter went home to the families concerning scabies which had inforation on what the condition is, how to prevent it, and how to treat it. Please take the time to read and follow the instructions to check your student for any suspicious rash on the backs of the hands especially between the fingers. Also care of the home and pets is very important to ensure that you control this condition at home. As Dr. Riojas pointed out on the video, many times families take in a stray pet and one week later everyone in the home is itching. This problem is very common in Harlandale, and will be an issue as long as south Texas is hot and the pets spend time outside. Harlandale continues to do all we can do but will not keep it out of the schools without the parents help at home.

Previously posted- 3/16/15- Welcome back from Spring Break! You may have noticed that the University Health Systems School Based Clinic at Collier Elementary is under construction. Please know that the clinic itself is open and ready to care for your Harlandale students. By the time the 2015-2016 school year starts, the clinic will be brand new and beautiful. Please do continue to call 358-TALK(8255) for an appointment, and request the school based clinic.

Remember that now is the time to get your 6th grade student his or her 7th grade immunizations. Please beat the rush to get them, and don't wait until the summer. Simply take your student and their shot record to the clinic , and ask for the 7th grade immunizations. They will more than happy to assist you.


Previously posted- 2/26/15- Construction on the new School Based Clinic at Collier Elementary is scheduled to begin over Spring Break. Therefore, the clinic will be closed all of Spring Break, but will reopen at full capasity after Spring Break. The current hours of operation are:

Monday thru Thursday 8 am to 4:30 pm

Fridays 10 am to 4:30 pm

All services continue to be offered for all insured or uninsured students of Harlandale. An appointment is preferred, but not necessary. You can call 358-TALK (8255) for an appointment. Just ask for an appointment at the School Based Clinic.

All 6th graders can begin getting their 7th grade immunizations now. Yes, if you have a student that will be going into the 7th grade next school year, they need immunizations! It is not too soon to get them. Avoid the rush in the summer at all the clinics and doctor's offices. Get them now and take the information to the School Nurse to update your records to show that your student is up to date. You can go to the UHS School Based Clinic or your favorite clinic or doctor's office Now.



Medical Forms for School

To the right of this web page, under the "Related Documents" tab are a few of the most common needed forms for any student in Harlandale with a special medical need.

It is common for students to need to take medication while at school. Even if it is for just a very short time, like an antibiotic. The form would still need to be filled out and brought to the clinic along with the medication in the labeled bottle it was given to you in by the pharmacist. The form you need for medications at school is located under the Student Support Services tab, under documents, click on School Health and School Nurses.

It is also common for students to be allergc to different things like bee stings and ant bites or different foods. Senate Bill 27, which was passed last year in Congress, requires the parent or guardian to have the Allergy Packet completed by a doctor and returned to the clinic along with any medications like epinephrine or Benadryl that was prescribed by the physician. The allergy packets have been provided for you in English and Spanish for your convenience. Just print, have the doctor complete, sign and return.

If you want to apply for an exemption from immunizations, an instructional form is posted above in "Related Documents."

And as always, if you have any questions, simply go by and visit with your School Nurse. They also have all the forms you need for your child.


In the near future, there will be much more helpful information that will be posted on this site.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions for helpful content of this resource. 


Rodney La Point, RN

Harlandale Independent School District
Student Support Services, School Health Services Facilitator

Office: 210-989-4495